Re: Locale problem and sent index

 On Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 7:25:03 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:

    [Håkedal]
> I re-discovered that I see the intended (I think) glyph in nvi-m17n
> only when Mutt passes the raw mail to the editor via the r)eply
> function, not when viewing the message via the e)dit function.

    That's in some way "normal":

 - <reply> transcodes the mail from its label to your locale. You could
see the correct glyph (even out of nvi) if only the font had it.

 - <edit> "edit the raw message" doesn't decode nor transcode anything,
but gives the really raw Latin-1 message to your $editor. Displaying raw
Latin-1 in an EUC-JP environment without iconv just can't work.

> It suggests to me that iconv is making the wrong assumption on how
> that character should be encoded.

    I don't think so. There is only one way to encode the /a ring/ in
EUC-JP: The 3 bytes sequence 8F AB A9. Iconv produces just that. Remove
Mutt and Iconv from the equation, and just cat or edit the following
EUC-JP text file:

| $ printf "H\x8F\xAB\xA9kedal\n" > ring-above-a.euc-jp

> With "Lucida Console", are those double-width glyphs?

    Yes. Well, more exactly: Single-width glyphs expanded to fill 2
columns. Note their width is linked to charset and locale, not to the
font. Those characters are originally single-width in any western
locale.

    But Lucida has not a single Japanese ideogram: It was not a workable
solution for you. I mentionned it only as proof that iconv, Mutt, and
your settings do work correctly. Only the font has holes. Nvi does that
better than correct, despite the same font holes, and I wonder how.

Bye!    Alain.
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
<URL:http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>