Re: OT: offending sig + headers

On 17May2007 17:18, Derek Martin <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 02:09:36PM -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
| > You're probably aware of greylisting already.
| indeed.
| > The reason I bring it up is that it's a spam fighting technique that
| > doesn't make suspected spam disappear, but disallows delivery. So a
| > false positive means someone gets a bounce, which alerts them to the
| > problem.
|
| Which is highly annoying for people who legitimately want to send you
| mail, but aren't already whitelisted.  I personally hate it, and
| refuse to subject people I know to such irritation.

I think you're confusing greylisting with confirm-delivery.

Greylisting happens in the mail system, and sends unrecognised SMTP
contacts away with a retry later (450 response?) the first time and any
time in the next short interval (eg 5 minutes). A real mail system will
come back later na dbe let in. Your cheapo SMTP spew-the-net will simply
fail and not return.

Personally I publish my real address. I use spam filters but also autofile
all "personal" email not from a known address in my UNKNOWN folder,
which I peruse about once a day. Genuine messages get their addrs added
to "known".

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I die. Where they bury me the ground caves in. It swallows up the city and all
die. O the embarrassment.       - Joe Haldeman, _A !Tangled Web_