Re: OT: offending sig + headers

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 09:28:20PM -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> Yes, you have stopped listening. Otherwise it would have penetrated that
> whatever the technical merits of your "solution" you are still making
> people unhappy after 5 years.

You make it sound like the entire community is upset by my practice,
when as far as I'm aware, it's only a handful of exceptions.  In the 5
years I've been operating this way, it *has* come up a number of
times, but only in 4 or 5 cases (IN 5 YEARS) was someone actually
complaining.  And two of those were the same person, separated by
several years.

> The concept deserves more careful consideration. It's not about being
> crazy. It's about being rude. Inconsiderate.

You have completely failed to explain how preventing -- no not
preventing, but in fact just making it slightly harder than hitting
the "reply" button -- unwanted e-mail from being sent to me is being
rude to others.  You didn't even attempt to do so.  If you can
demonstrate some kind of harm that this does, I may reconsider.  I
can't for the life of me see any.

> Your methods are not odd. Others have used them. The same thing
> would occur to almost anyone in a few minutes, and be rejected because
> it's plain bad behavior.

WHY?  What makes it so terrible?  Why is it so important to YOU that
YOU should be able to contact ME privately?  What possible reason can
you have to care so much?  You don't know me, and I'm guessing you
don't particularly like me...  What difference can it possibly make?
I think you're being intolerant of my way of doing things simply
because it's different from your own, and frankly, I think you're
being ridiculous.  The only reason that seems to be evident from your
discussion as to why I shouldn't do this is because "I don't like it."
Well, there's lots of things in life we don't like... tough noogies.
I don't like having my e-mail address culled from public forums I want
to participate in.  One of us has to lose...  I have the technical
means at my disposal to make sure it's not me, and I don't see any
harm that it does to the whiners or anyone else, so I'm going to use
it.

> IOW, despite the accepted norms for *this* community

There is no evidence whatsoever that your ideas are the accepted norms
of this community.  As far as I can see, they're the norms of only a
few who think they should be able to dictate how I behave.  I find the
whole idea insulting.  No one has even suggested a reason why this
should be considered offensive.

> You're certainly free to start an anonymous mutt phpbb forum (or
> whatever), but instead you choose to not play nice *here*, and then
> blame your own bad actions on the spammers when nobody else seems to
> need such extreme measures.

Other people seem to be perfectly content with the inherent risk of
losing mail to filtering.  I'm not.  That's the difference.  I don't
know what methods you used, but every single method mentioned on this
list has the potential to stop legitimate mail I would care about
being delivered to me.  Except the one I use.  That's the difference.
Having been on the receiving end of that in the past, (having mail
from my server blocked because it was on non-commercial IP space, and
other similar problems) it's very frustrating, and I'm not willing to
accept the risk of others having the same problems.  If you're happy
accepting that risk, good for you.

> I agree. Yet with my public, reachable address I've had very little
> trouble with private emails. A few "me too" or "you're wrong" emails a
> year don't bother me much. They are not, after all, spam. They certainly
> cannot be blamed on spammers.

Spam is any mail the recipient didn't want to read.  To me, those are
spam.  And for pete's sake people, I have already said enough times
it's not that hard to find an address for me, if you have something
you think I really need to see, but others shouldn't.

Your whole argument is absurd.  You can contact me.  You just need to
do slightly more than a spammer would be willing to do to get my
address to do so.  If that pisses you off, then I think you should
seek counseling.

I changed my sig to be less offensive.  Maybe that will make you
happy.  My "glib" sig comment was intended to be humerous, to
introduce a bit of levity to the annoying problem of spam
management... but as I said, you never know what will offend some
people...  Damn!  I just can't believe anyone could possibly care
about this.

I'm done with this thread, the list has already wasted way too much
time on this nonsense, and so have I, certainly.

-=-=-=-=-
undeliverable mail, due to spam prevention.  Sorry for the inconvenience.