Re: Display problems in OS X Terminal.app

Some of you may remember me struggling with redraw problems in
Terminal.app.

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 10:10:55AM +0000, Michael Williams wrote:
> I'm having redraw problems in OS X's Terminal.app, and would welcome
> suggestions or solutions. The screen looks something like this:
>
>   http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8136/picture4pf3.png

A number of people confirmed there were negligible differences in the
versions of mutt and associated libraries that they were using with
success in Terminal.app. E.g.

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 09:07:02AM -0500, Marc Vaillant wrote:
> I installed mutt-devel from darwinports and have never had any redraw
> problems in Terminal.app.  I'm running 10.4.5. "ports installed" shows
>
>   mutt-devel @1.5.13_0+db4+headercache+imap+ncurses+pop+ssl (active)
>   ncurses @5.5_1+darwin_8 (active)
>   ncursesw @5.5_0+darwin_8 (active)

...which was pretty much what I had. I finally had a chance to revisit
this issue, and noticed this sentence:

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 09:07:02AM -0500, Marc Vaillant wrote:
> I have had problems however with w3m redraw and fixed that by unchecking
> File->Show Info->Display->Wide glyphs for Japanese/Chinese/etc.

I turned off Wide Glyphs, and all is now well! It seems the arrow
characters mutt was using to build up the threading display were being
misrendered as two columns, confusing line wrapping.

Anyway, for the benefit of anyone reading the archives, try playing with
this setting if you have redraw problems in Terminal.app.

-- Mike