Display problems in OS X Terminal.app

Hi,

I'm having redraw problems in OS X's Terminal.app, and would welcome
suggestions or solutions. The screen looks something like this:

  http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8136/picture4pf3.png

My environment is XTERM=xterm-color and TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=133. mutt
is linked against ncurses 5.4 and libiconv 1.9. I've read this thread:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.mutt.user/25815/

And tried setting TERM to xterm and rxvt. Both actually seem to make
things worse (and TERM=xterm results in a monochrome mutt).

Things work fine in xterm (provided by Apple's standard X11 install),
but I'd like to take advantage of the various bells and whistles
provided by Terminal.app. Has anyone got mutt working well in
Terminal.app without these problems, or are we to assume there is a bug
with Terminal.app?

Thanks,
-- Mike