Re: Sorting directories first

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 05:21:56PM +1100, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> When I attach files it would be nice to navigate to the file for
> attachment by sorting the display so that the directories were sorted to
> the top - but this does not seem possible? [ie it looks like only:
> (d)ate, (a)lpha, si(z)e or do(n)'t].

Yeah that's right...

Ideally I'd really like the mailbox browser and the filesystem browser
to be treated as two different screens which behave differently.
I think most of the time, most people would want the mail folders
presented in the order they were specified (i.e. unsorted) as
presumably the user will want Mutt to check for new mail in the order
in which they've specified the mailboxes (presumably most important to
least important), whereas for files in the filesystem, generally
people will want to see first directories, then regular files, with
possibly "hidden" files (those whose names begin with a '.' after
other regular files, if at all, with each category sorted in
alphabetical order.

Currently only alphabetic order (controlled by your $LANG and other
locale settings) is supported, without sorting into subcategories.
Mailboxes can be sorted or unsorted, but since there's no current way
in Mutt to distinguish between these two conceptually very different
ways of selecting files or mail folders, you can't do both at the same
time.

I'd proposed this idea before, and I considered looking into hacking
it up, but there seemed to be very little support for the idea, so
I let it drop.

-=-=-=-=-