Re: Display problems in OS X Terminal.app

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 08:48:53PM +0000, Michael Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 08:56:29PM +0200, Holger Lillqvist wrote:
> > As I wrote in the mutt-users thread you're referring to, I no longer
> > have any redraw problems running mutt in Terminal.app, so there
> > shouldn't be any problem with Terminal. The problem went away after a
> > fink update-all. One difference that I notice between my environment
> > and yours is that I have libiconv 1.10, you have 1.9. You could start
> > there. I too have ncurses 5.4 and TERM=xterm-color.
>
> I just rebuilt mutt (well, muttng, but I assume this is a lower level
> problem, and that isn't the difference) linking against a freshly built
> version of libiconv 1.11. No change.
>
> Do you get your working mutt from Fink or did you compile it yourself?
>
> -- Mike

I installed mutt-devel from darwinports and have never had any redraw
problems in Terminal.app.  I'm running 10.4.5. "ports installed" shows

  mutt-devel @1.5.13_0+db4+headercache+imap+ncurses+pop+ssl (active)
  ncurses @5.5_1+darwin_8 (active)
  ncursesw @5.5_0+darwin_8 (active)

I have had problems however with w3m redraw and fixed that by unchecking
File->Show Info->Display->Wide glyphs for Japanese/Chinese/etc.

Marc

ps. If anyone has tips on using w3m in Terminal.app, please share.  To
get w3m -dump to work properly for mutt, I had to change the display
charset to be NexTStep.  This also fixes display problems (nonprintables
showing up as question marks) when running w3m under gnu screen.
However, I'd prefer a better solution since it doesn't fix display
problems when sshed to another machine from within screen and running
w3m remotely.