Re: Old e-mails behaving as new

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 04:18:20PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Here is it more weird since if I login, and procmail has sorted some
> messages to "/new" subdir of my maildir, mutt will detect the messages
> and if I enter the Mailfolder with mutt. it move it IMMEDIATLY to "/cur"
> ecen if I do not read the messages.

That is normal for Maildir.  Quoting the wikipedia entry on Maildir,

``When the mail user agent process finds messages in the new directory
it moves them to cur (using the same link then unlink strategy) and
appends an informational suffix to the filename before reading
them. The information suffix consists of a colon (to separate the
unique part of the filename from the actual information), a '2', a
comma and various flags. The '2' specifies, loosely speaking, the
version of the information that follows the comma. '2' is the only
currently officially specified version, '1' being an experimental
version. One can only assume that it was used while the Maildir format
was under development.''

> This is realy annoying, since all is working fine if I enter the Maildir
> over NFS, hey, and it move the unread messages (OLD) back to the /new
> directory...

There is no "old" directory.  There is new, cur, and tmp.  This has
very little to do with whether the email is marked "new" (unseen).

--
Good code works.  Great code can't fail. -><-
<URL:http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/>