Old e-mails behaving as new

I just changed my version of mutt from 1.5.9i to 1.5.13 and am
experiencing some behavior that seems very weird to me.

When I start mutt and log into my imap server, all the mailboxes defined
in my .muttrc are shown as having new mail. When I open those mailboxes,
the only specially marked e-mails are ones marked as old, with an "O".
There are no e-mails marked with an "N".

In the old version of mutt, these mailboxes would not have been detected
as having new mail. This made more sense, since I already opened that
mailbox since those e-mails had been received.

My .muttrc did not change. The imap server is using Maildirs; I don't
know if that makes any difference, it always has used Maildirs.

Did something change that would have caused this? The behavior is quite
annoying since I have a lot of mailboxes. Is there an option to make
mutt behave differently?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stuart