Re: Rejected mail

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 01:14:42AM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Charles Cazabon wrote:
> > John K Masters wrote:
> > > Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host murphy.debian.org[70.103.162.31] said:
> > > 554 Service unavailable; Client host [86.xx.xxx.xxx] blocked using
> > >     sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org;
> > > http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=86.11.127.234 (in reply to RCPT TO
> > > command)
> >
> > Unrelated to mutt.  You have a dynamic IP address; many RBLs list such
> > addresses; anyone using such an RBL to block spam/abuse will refuse mail
> > from
> > your IP address.
>
> Agreed.  My server is one such.  But currently that IP is not listed
> in the dynamic IP list.  So I think it might be something different.
> But in any case you should use a static IP address.
>
> > The solution in this case is to either get a static address (not
> > listed in any RBLs...) from your ISP, or configure your MTA to relay
> > all mail through your ISP's mail servers.
>
> Agreed.  The standard solution is to configure to relay through your
> ISP's mail server.  You can do this with postfix with the following
> command.  Use your ISP's mail relay instead of this command.
>
>   postconf -e relayhost=mail.example.com
>
> And to fix your envelope from problems set your fully qualified domain
> name of your host.
>
>   postconf -e myhostname=fqdn.example.com
>
> Bob

 True enough, and mine was working like that last year - this year,
I've gradually found myself unable to post to various lists and only
recently found out that the envelope was at least part of the problem.
(although that part of the issue is perhaps already fixed for the OP).

 I'm now using generic and also sender_canonical in postfix.
Possibly one of these is unnecessary, but any change to my setup has
side effects on procmailrc when dealing with status emails from other
boxes on my network - it works now, so I'm not messing with it again
until I need to :)

 As far as my muttrc is concerned, I'm using
set from="zarniwhoop@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
set envelope_from=yes

 When the OP gets everything fixed, he may then notice that his own
posts to lists now show as 'To mutt-users' or wherever.  If that
isn't what he wants, it's fixed by changing index_format in .muttrc.
HTH

ĸen