Re: Rejected mail

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 22:21:17 +0100
Michael Tatge <Michael.Tatge@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi John!
>
> * On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 John K Masters (johnmasters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
> muttered:
> > My first post to this list. Be gentle with me!
>
> Yeah, this was the reason for my first post to the list too, back in
> the days. I always felt it should be set by default since it's a trap
> for newbies.
>
> > I have a problem. When posting or replying to some lists the mail
> > gets returned due to the From being me@localhost.
>
> That is most likely because you didn't set (use_)envelope_from.
> Without it set some, in fact most MTAs will reject your messages
> because the envelope points to a non-resolvable host. localhost in
> your case.
>
> > This does not happen on all lists. e.g debian-users rejects mail but
> > ubuntu-users does not.
>
> Which is exactly what you're seeing.
>
> > I am fairly sure this is a postfix config issue but am not sure
> > where.
>
> You could fix it in postfix but you're better off setting
> use_envelope_from as mentioned above.
>
> HTH,
>
> Michael

Thanks to all. The From now shows correctly having set
use_envelope_from. However, the mail still get bounced with teh
following:-

Final-Recipient: rfc822; debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host murphy.debian.org[70.103.162.31] said:
554 Service unavailable; Client host [86.xx.xxx.xxx] blocked using
    sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org;
http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=86.11.127.234 (in reply to RCPT TO
command)

This is my dhcp address from my ISP. I'm behind a firewall and not
running any servers locally so why the spamhaus bit?

BTW This is exactly why I want to move to mutt; I hit the reply to list
button but it still put Michaels address in the To. Sorry Michael.

--
John K Masters - User #417400 in the Linux Counter
http://counter.li.org/

However, many electrons were terrible inconvenienced.