Re: Rejected mail

Hi John!

* On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 John K Masters (johnmasters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) muttered:
> My first post to this list. Be gentle with me!

Yeah, this was the reason for my first post to the list too, back in the
days. I always felt it should be set by default since it's a trap for
newbies.

> I have a problem. When posting or replying to some lists the mail gets
> returned due to the From being me@localhost.

That is most likely because you didn't set (use_)envelope_from. Without
it set some, in fact most MTAs will reject your messages because the
envelope points to a non-resolvable host. localhost in your case.

> This does not happen on all lists. e.g debian-users rejects mail but
> ubuntu-users does not.

Which is exactly what you're seeing.

> I am fairly sure this is a postfix config issue but am not sure where.

You could fix it in postfix but you're better off setting
use_envelope_from as mentioned above.

HTH,

Michael
--
BOFH excuse #176:

vapors from evaporating sticky-note adhesives

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC1A44DD
Jabber:     init[0]@amessage.de