Re: few questions

* Gary Johnson <garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2004-07-07 10:57 -0700]:
> On 2004-07-08, Joshua Crawford <mortarn_lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> * Ionel Mugurel Ciobica <tgakic@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2004-07-07 16:27 +0200]:
>
>>> And lets face it, space in
>>> filename is a windows feature.
>>
>> This I can't agree with. I, as a Linux user, use spaces myself where
>> appropriate, and was doing so on UNIX (SunOS) years before Windows95 was
>> released.
>
> Don't you find that spaces in file names make it difficult to use a
> lot of common Unix tools?  For example, this will try to execute
> grep on each word of each file name containing spaces.
>
>     find . -type f | xargs grep something

'grep -r something *' would do what you're wanting here most of the time (it
wouldn't find matches in .subdirectories).

For the most part I know where my files are, and I use mc to manipulate
them, so this isn't a problem for me.
--
Joshua 'bruce' Crawford ... http://www.geocities.com/mortarn

Let's do the Time Warp again!