Re: few questions

On  5-07-2004, at 23h 30'21", Joshua Crawford wrote about "Re: few questions"

> > 2. How do I avoid to save files with spaces in the name, maybe replacing
> >    it with underscore? I could retype the name but ms-word users sends
> >    extremely long names with lots of spaces and I just don't want to
> >    retype all the crap. wvWare program has a nice way of converting all
> >    spaces from the names to underscore. Maybe it uses rename s/\ /_/
> >    internally.
>
> Why would you want to? You can probably do this with procmail.

It is annoying, every time you work with it you need to prepend each
space with \ or to enclose the name in between single or double quotes.
And if the name is long it gets frustrating. And lets face it, space in
filename is a windows feature.

> > 3. Some time I wish to resend a message with some of my comments. I use
> >    to do a forward and then reattach the attachments. But that can be
> >    annoying, especially because of the problems with spaces in the
> >    filenames. I switch on the fcc_attach, but now it is still not what I
> >    want. The entire message is packed as an attachment. How do I forward
> >    a message and automatically the attachments are reattached, each of
> >    them as a separated attachment?
>
> Use <resend-message> instead.

Greate! Thank you.

> > 4. Also from ms addicted people I receive e-mails with extremely long
> >    lines, which mutt nicely brake it down. But the color scheme stops
> >    after a number of characters, and the rest of the line is shown
> >    different. How do I increase the size of that variable?
>
> Show us the 'color body' lines from your muttrc, so we can check your
> syntax.

See the file attached (color_body.muttrc). Also have a look at
http://bucovina.chem.tue.nl/mutt_color.png, to see what I am talking
about. Only about 1000 characters follows the color scheme.

> > 5. Somehow related to 2., how do I avoid that mutt will ask me to save
> >    a file with names like that: "=?iso-8859-2?Q?Invita=FEie.doc?="
> >    instead of "Invita?ie.doc"
>
> set rfc2047_parameters

Thank you. It works.

> > 6. I receive e-mails from Yahoo, which are written in either ISO8859-2
> >    or UTF-8. But Yahoo send it as us-ascii. Then all non ascii
> >    characters are shown as "?". Till now I just press e, edit the
> >    message in vi(m): :1,$s/us-ascii/iso8859-2/g then I save and
> >    everything is fine. But it is annoying. I know that this is not mutt
> >    fault, but how can I define a macro or something to do that for me
> >    just by pressing a key?
>
> Use <edit-type>, or you could use procmail to rewrite the content-type for
> those lists.

I can't use Ctrl-E (edit-type) because that is:
Yahoo sends both plain text and html. But I could
use it after I press v to enter in the attachments
menu. Thank you.

> > And somehow a new question. I recently switch from Debian stable (woody)
> > to Debian testing (Sarge). This upgrade my mutt to 1.5.6. The first time
> > I was annoyed by the error about "alternates: unknown variable", but I
> > read the manual and I change this line:
> >
> > set alternates="(user1@xxxxxxxxxxx|user2@xxxxxxxxxxx)"
> >
> > into
> >
> > alternates
> >
> > Now I don't get the error, but mutt doesn't understand all my addresses.
> > When I reply to an e-mail from me which was already a reply to someone
> > else, mutt used to reply to that person, now it does to me. In the sent
> > folder all the e-mail are addressed to me, not from me, etc. The only
> > e-mails that are processed correctly are the one which have my user name
> > in the From_ filed (and not any of my e-mail addresses).
> >
> > Correlated with that, how do I specify correctly: user@*.domain.com or
> > user@*domain.com (the dot can be a part of the star)?
>
> I don't have 1.5.x, but afaik the format of alternates hasn't changed (i.e.,
> it's still a regular expression), it's just not a 'set' variable anymore.
> So, here you'd want something like
>
>  alternates .*@.*domain\.com
>
> and the line from above should be
>
>  alternates (user1@domain1\.com|user2@domain2\.com)

Debian stable uses 1.3.28 and Debian testing uses 1.5.6, so I change
those versions. It is clear now what is the new syntax. I did not
understand the role of the dot.

Thank you for the help.

Ionel

P.S. Sorry Joshua, I pressed r instead of L.
color  body     brightred black "[\-\.+_a-zA-Z0-9]+@[\-\.a-zA-Z0-9]+"
color  body     brightyellow black
"(http|ftp)://[\-\.\,/%~_:\?\#a-zA-Z0-9=+_\&]+"
color  body     brightyellow black "(^Request\ name:\ \ \ |^Request\ owner:\ \
|^Mail\ sent\ at:\ \ \ )[a-zA-Z0-9:\ +_]+"
color     body     brightred     black     "^Request exited normally."
color     body     red     black     "^Job log follows:"
color     body     brightred     black     "^Message concerning NQS request: "
color     body     brightred     default     "^This is an AUTOMATIC MAIL."
color     body     brightred     green     "Ionel|Mugurel|Ciobîcă|Sorinela|[
^]Ana[ ,\.$]|româneşte"
color     body     red          green
"tgakic|Ciobica|Ciobîca|Ciobîc\?|Romanian"
color     body     brightred     black     "[0-9][0-9]/[0-9][0-9]
[0-9][0-9]:[0-9][0-9]:[0-9][0-9] [A-Z]"
color     body     brightred     cyan     "aăâbcdefghiîjklmnoprsştţuvxz"
color     body     brightred     cyan     "AĂÂBCDEFGHIÎJKLMNOPRSŞTŢUVXZ"
color     body          brightcyan     black     "[a-jl-pr-vxzA-JL-PR-VXZ0-9]"
color     body          cyan             black     "[kK]"
color     body          brightcyan     black     "[ăâîşţĂÂÎŞŢ]"
color     body          brightcyan     black     "[\%\(\)\.\:\?\,\!\`\'ŤĽľť]"
color     body          brightcyan     black     "[\-]"
color     body          brightgreen     black     "[\*~#\"+ ^\\\/;%\_\[\]+=]"
color     body          brightblue     black     "[<>{}|]"
color     body          green     black     "[qwyQWYôúéçčŕęůÔÉĘČŔÇŮÚűŰ]"
color     body          white     black   "[&#^]"
color     body          yellow     black     "[¤$]"