Re: Using mutt with remote IMAP and local mailboxes

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 12:48:27PM +0200, Mads Laursen wrote:
> On 15/06/04 10.21, Chris Green wrote:
> [snip]
> > >
> > > Try entering '~/' at the save prompt, and press <TAB> twice. That
> > > should give you a folder view. You also have tab-completion. All you
> > > really need to do, is enter enough of the destination to disambiguate
> > > where you wish to browse from. In my book that counts as 'easy'.
> > >
> > Surely that's not going to work when I'm trying to save from an IMAP
> > folder to a local folder as they're on different hierarchies.  That's
> > the whole problem, I want a simple way of transferring a message from
> > (say) the remote IMAP hierarchy to the same place in the local
> > hierarchy.
>
> It works that way for me. I have all my mail in IMAP, and when I need
> to save a mail to a local file I just use the regular save function,
> type the beginning of the (local) path, and the rest is just using
> tab-completion (or the browser, but I prefer completing in the
> prompt). I havent tried, but I should think you can define both local
> and IMAP folders as "mailboxes" at the same time, if you need to.

Ah, yes, I think I see what you mean now.  The initial '~/' takes you
to the root of one's local IMAP folders.  I'll give it a try and see
how I get on.  Thanks.

> The only problems I can see are starting with local folders (I'm not
> sure mutt connects correctly to IMAP in that case, but my inbox is in
> IMAP) and the IMAP connection timing out if I stay in local mailboxes
> for too long.

I'm pretty sure I'll always be wating to go from remote IMAP to local
files.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)