Re: Using mutt with remote IMAP and local mailboxes

On 15/06/04 10.21, Chris Green wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:05:47AM +0200, Mads Laursen wrote:
> > On 15/06/04 08.37, Chris Green wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 02:52:50AM +0200, Jens Paulus wrote:
[snip]
> > > because my folder hierarchy is up to three levels deep.  When I save
> > > mail in my current hierarchy I just about never enter a folder name, I
> > > always navigate there using the cursor keys (or actually more likely
> > > h,j,k,l).  Having to enter a long destination folder name is not
> > > 'easy' as far as I'm concerned.
> >
> > Try entering '~/' at the save prompt, and press <TAB> twice. That
> > should give you a folder view. You also have tab-completion. All you
> > really need to do, is enter enough of the destination to disambiguate
> > where you wish to browse from. In my book that counts as 'easy'.
> >
> Surely that's not going to work when I'm trying to save from an IMAP
> folder to a local folder as they're on different hierarchies.  That's
> the whole problem, I want a simple way of transferring a message from
> (say) the remote IMAP hierarchy to the same place in the local
> hierarchy.

It works that way for me. I have all my mail in IMAP, and when I need
to save a mail to a local file I just use the regular save function,
type the beginning of the (local) path, and the rest is just using
tab-completion (or the browser, but I prefer completing in the
prompt). I havent tried, but I should think you can define both local
and IMAP folders as "mailboxes" at the same time, if you need to.

The only problems I can see are starting with local folders (I'm not
sure mutt connects correctly to IMAP in that case, but my inbox is in
IMAP) and the IMAP connection timing out if I stay in local mailboxes
for too long.

/dossen
--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
                -- Albert Einstein