Re: [OT] Any mutt-like webmail program?

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 05:33:00AM +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:

> >  it is possible to write a console emulator in PHP or PERL or
> > something.
>
> Do they already exist, to not start from scratch?

I strongly doubt it.

> > > This means installing on my Linux box Apache and some webmail package:
> >
> > If that's the approach you've decided you must take, keep dreaming.
> > Webmail packages suck all around, and because of their intended audience,
> > they're not likely to improve at any substantial rate.
>
> I was asking for one which I could easily *hack* to add what I need. I
> know that existing ones suck, that's why I want to change.

Hmm ... if you're prepared to do a significant amount of coding, you
can fake many of those features you requested in just about any webmail
program.  Just find one with clean-looking code, and go from there.

> > You're better off writing your own PHP or PERL UI for Mutt.
>
> Gladly, but I wouldn't even know how to start. I know some
> cgi/php/perl, but how would I tell mutt from a CGI/php script "tell me
> how to display threads in HTML"? in such a way that clicking on some
> link will mean "hey mutt, let's reply to this message using the
> current folder hooks".

Nah, I'd have a look at the UI code for Mutt, and not touch any of the
other code.  You can then use PHP/PERL/C to generate HTML based on the
UI function calls in Mutt.  i.e., every time that you're asked to print a
pageful of emails, write the thing out as an HTML form.  As I noted above,
you really don't need PHP/PERL for that, although you can certainly use
'em if you want.  I wonder if that extensible Mutt project would be of
any use. . .

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel