Re: [OT] Any mutt-like webmail program?

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:50:12PM +0100, Marco Fioretti wrote:

> Hello,

Hey, Marco :-)

> I'd like to access my email from the web, relying only on https, HTML 4.0
> and JavaScript (as in "any SSH solution, including that Java applet whose
> name escapes me now, is not doable")

Well, JavaScript has the ability to capture keystrokes and alter data
on the page, and HTML 4.0 is good enough to allow text preformatting.
In other words, it is possible to write a console emulator in PHP or
PERL or something.

> This means installing on my Linux box Apache and some webmail package:

If that's the approach you've decided you must take, keep dreaming.
Webmail packages suck all around, and because of their intended audience,
they're not likely to improve at any substantial rate.  You're better off
writing your own PHP or PERL UI for Mutt (which shouldn't be too hard,
considering that most of the user interface is abstracted to separate
functions).

Good luck,
 - Dave

Please visit this link: