Re: UI enhancements

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 01:18:27PM +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Vladimír Marek [07-09-02 11:34:50 +0200] wrote:
>
> >JUst out of curiosity, how do you compose message out of different mails
> >? For example you reply to someone, but need to include part of another
> >mail you got the day before.
>
> I don't think that was meant. What was meant (I think) was this: when
> writing some reply to a message in a thread, you want to re-read a part
> of it and possibly refer to another message ala "foo wrote this" or "bar
> wrote that".

If you're refering to what *I* meant in the message Vladimir is
replying to, that's not quite it either, though close enough I guess.
What I actually meant was in the middle of composing a reply, you want
to refer to a third, completely different message, possibly even from
a different thread or mail folder, but relevant to what you're
discussing.  I find this happening rather a lot.  I don't necessarily
want to include it in the message; I just want to remind myself what
was said.

As mentioned, tag-reply solves the above problem, which I also
encounter quite a lot. :)

> I usually fire up another mutt instance in another terminal to re-read
> things while writing replies.

I usually postpone my message and go have a look, though sometimes do
what you described too, depending on how much material I'm reviewing.
But neither is quite as convenient as having the composition in a
separate pane, and there are other usage scenarios as well (for
example I just want to see when new mail is delivered while I'm
composing a long message) and it's not practical for me to always be
running two copies of Mutt.  Usually, there's already way too much on
my screen...

-=-=-=-=-