Re: UI enhancements

Hi,

* Derek Martin [07-09-02 00:44:15 -0400] wrote:
On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 05:40:05PM +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
1) mutt_multi_choice() is currently used to let the user choose from quite a number of possible options. To fit in 80x25 they're abbreviated which obviously doesn't look nice. I've put together a patch that adds a dialog and puts it in a curses subwindow like so:

I've always wanted this...  Mutt already makes fine use of curses, I
could never figure out why it didn't do this for menus (i.e.
mutt_multi_choice()).  Didn't look at the code but the images look
good, except the resulting panel seems to need a space inserted down
the left side for balance/symmetry.

That may be a local issue of my terminal, as a) the images are made with anti-alias turned on (it looks quite different when being turned off) and b) some characters seems to not be really centered so the left gap up to the window border are smaller than the right one after it.

I also wonder how the choice of
background/foreground colors gets made for this, and whether the
default background and foreground colors shouldn't be used, perhaps
with a different color used to highlight the key sequence needed to
activate a given action...

For simplicity I simply chose the status bar color pair, but that is of course debatable. The basic requirement I think is that the overlay window is clearly distinctable from the underlying menu and I doubt if we can programmatically derive a color pair satisfying this need from the users choices (except for inverting maybe, but that'll look ugly, too).

  bye, Rocco
--
:wq!