Re: What's needed for mutt 1.6? (Debian patches)

On Friday, 23 February 2007 at 14:18, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> | xtitles is also very nice. What could be improved is that the default
> | for xterm_set_titles must currently be off because TERM is evaluated
> | at the time the variable is set. If the default is fine, the patch is
> | as well, but if it should be on per default (which would make sense)
> | it has to be updated. (As it is one of my pet patches, I'd volunteer :)
>
> Small remark: it seems to have a hardwired set of "good"
> terminals. Neither or mine (rxvt-unicode and screen-256color-bce)
> is one it. Or is that just for the default setting, overridable? No
> ncurses/slang query for this capability?

The last time I remember this getting heavily discussed, I thought
someone proposed the approach of having mutt simply expose the current
folder name etc as variables that could be expanded in a shell
expansion called from a folder hook. This seems a lot more general and
elegant to me.

> How deep is the header cache support these days? Just maildir? Everything
> including IMAP?

It covers maildir, IMAP, and I believe POP. IMAP and POP also have a
message cache which you might enjoy.

> Personally, my two most desired features are header cache and compressed
> folders. Has anyone considered compress maildir message files? Or is
> that just silly - I can imagine it going either way myself, and have
> never tried it)?

It doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. But can someone remind me what
the objections were to the compressed-folder patch?

I suppose one objection is that you could use something like FUSE to
mount a dynamically-uncompressed version of a mailbox partition, but
this is out of reach for a lot of people.