Re: mutt/2019: menu_context itches (Re: your mail)

On Tuesday, August  2 at 12:48 PM, quoth David Champion:
Here's where I've been confused: menu_scroll=no/menu_move_off=no also
means that down-arrowing scrolls one message at a time, implicitly, *on
the last screen*.  Since that's the primary effect of menu_scroll (but
for any screen), this appeared confusing to me.

I see now that the behavior is different on all pages except the last.

Wha? Not on my mutt (and I have a CVS build from this morning). I copied 35 messages into a test folder, made sure both menu_scroll and menu_move_off were "no", and pressed the down-arrow to move my selection down past the 22nd message. When I hit message 23, message 22 jumped to the middle of the screen, and the 35th message was now at the bottom. None of the "one-at-a-time" behavior I would expect (and do get) when menu_scroll=yes.

Have you perhaps set menu_context to something that would alter this behavior? (My menu_context=0)

So, as you see, I find the manual explanation of menu_move_off very
confusing -- it doesn't make sense to me to think of it in terms of the
bottom of a menu scrolling past the bottom of the screen.

Fair enough. I still am curious how you're getting the behavior you're getting.

~Kyle
--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
                                                            -- Brandeis