Re: mutt/2019: menu_context itches (Re: your mail)

On Tuesday, August  2 at 11:56 AM, quoth David Champion:
I'm checking into something on this -- apparently I did misunderstand
some aspects of what this option does, but I'm still not happy with the
status quo.

Ossi, do you use menu_scroll=yes?  I just discovered this setting while
trying to draft a description of menu_move_off that made more sense to
me.

Well, let's see... I used to use menu_scroll=no menu_move_off=yes for my inbox, which gives me a sense of "pages" when I scroll. The last "page" of my inbox typically has a bunch of blank lines at the end. But I've recently decided that I like menu_move_off=no better, which makes sure there aren't any blank lines at the end.

But with menu_scroll=no, I still move through my index (when there are lots of messages) in page-sized chunks. With menu_scroll=yes, I move through it one message at a time (when I go down, the menu scrolls up, rather than moving a full terminal-sized "page" at a time). I think with menu_scroll=yes, menu_move_off is essentially irrelevant, but with menu_scroll=no, menu_move_off toggles whether or not blank-lines are allowed in the index of a mailbox with more than $ROWS messages in it.

menu_move_off doesn't seem to "activate" menu_scroll for me, though.

~Kyle
--
A great many people think they are thinking when they are actually rearranging their prejudices.
                                                       -- William James