Re: Mutt Next Generation

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 07:17:43PM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:12:44 +0100, David Schweikert said:
>
> > Hmmm, no. Can you explain? The passwords are transfered using TLS
> > encryption of course and the users already use that password for
> > IMAP
>
> General precaution is to use a given credential only for one purpose.

This may seem like the right thing to do, but it's worth
consideration.

That this is better security is, I think, debatable.  Forcing people
to use a different password for every individual thing they access
increases the probability that they will not remmember their
passwords, and that makes it more likely they will choose bad
passwords.  It makes it more likely that their passwords will need to
be reset frequently; and ALL THAT makes it more likely that the
password will be left laying around on a sticky-note or otherwise
easily intercepted.

It is probably good practice to have several passwords for accessing
different LEVELS of security (i.e. one password for all remote access,
another for access of all internal computing resources, another for
websites and other throw-away purposes, etc.), but what you're
describing is likely to turn into a major maintenance nightmare for
the administration staff without adding any real benefit.  That can
itself introduce needless complexity into the infrastructure, actually
reducing the overall level of security.

There's a reason why centralized authentication mechanisms (Kerberos,
LDAP, RADIUS, NIS, etc.) are very popular...  Admitedly, some are
inherently more secure than others.

> In this case and assuming a shared secret (password) it is known at
> several sites and thus increasing the risk of a compromise.  The admin
> of the outgoing server might not be aware that the AUTH password is
> also used for pop3, and smtp or even the login password.

In practice, I think this is generally unlikely.  At most sites there is
a single mail administrator, or a group of them, who manage all
aspects of e-mail and mail-related authentication.  They know how the
systems are authenticated, and how they interact.  It is quite normal
for the password for all of those things to be the same, and there is
no real loss of security if the systems are well implemented.

> A TLS connection does not help if the server has been compromised.

If the server has been compromised, NOTHING can help, until control is
regained.  Then, all users should be required to change their
passwords.  If a root compromise has been effected, all bets are off.
Public key encryption may help you out, or it may not.  In some cases,
it may be possible to retrieve both parts of someone's key, especially
since it may be likely they have both parts stored on a server used
for e-mail.  Using man-in-the-middle techniques, it may be possible to
obtain their passphrase, depending on the method of access.

I think your whole argument is spurious.

The bottom line is security is very complex and very much
site-specific, and what may be good practices at one site might bring
down the house at another.

-=-=-=-=-