Re: Mutt Next Generation

On 2005-01-26 12:40:48 +0100, Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:

> > * nntp
> > * smtp
> > * header cache
> > * Florian Weimer's optimizations.

>> Personally, I don't think mutt should include either an NNTP or
>> an SMTP client (but maybe I'm old-fashioned).  And I'm skeptic
>> about header-caching maildirs.

> But how about making them compiletime options then?

Making them compile time options still means that you have the
additional complexity and have to maintain the.  I'd rather not do
that.

> Maybe the nntp in particular is in the greyzone of things that
> might never belong there, but the simple smtp client to enable
> mutt to use a relay-server is something closely tied together to
> the client itself IMO.

We're on Unix, remember?  "Do one thing, and do it well."

There are command line SMTP clients around that you can integrate
with mutt by changing a simple configuration variable, and for any
kind of a complex setup (think queuing), you're better served with a
full-fledged MTA anyway.

In short, an SMTP client is one of the things that, in my view,
*clearly* don't belong into mutt.
--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.