Re: Mutt Next Generation

* On 2005.01.27, in <87k6py9b28.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
*       "Werner Koch" <wk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Although I don't think that an SMTP AUTH password is really sensible
> data (its only use is to avoid open relays), it should be pretty easy

Just for the record -- I know you're not strictly opposing changes in
mutt -- that's not quite correct. It's also used for audit trails,
so that an company/institution's security organization can confirm
legitimacy of claims. This could mean determining whether someone really
sent a message, or determining whether someone's password really was
stolen -- it goes either way, and it not invasive in itself.

Some sites want to use AUTH for exactly that, unrelated to any relaying
or spam concerns. However one feels about that as a policy decision,
it's the world that a MUA has to live in.

--
 -D.    dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                  NSIT::ENSS