[OT] I'm Just A Programmer (was: Re: ANNOUNCE: maildir header cache for current development cvs)

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 03:59:51PM EST, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:

> > ...but if you modify a file without modifying its entry in the
> > directory (changinng its mode, nuking it and recreating it, etc.), the
> > directory's modification time won't be touched :-(
>
> You're right. Do you have any other ideas?

me? ideas? not likely ... all I do is steal others' ideas and implement
them [1] ;-)

> Looking at the access time is
> nonsense, I think.

Well, there's an interesting idea ... maybe the access time of the
directory has significance (e.g., if Mutt looks at the directory
before changing a file in it?  I dunno ... I don't even use maildir
myself. . .). . .

Also, I think what I said in my previous mail isn't 100% correct: if you
look at a new message, it should be moved from the new/ subdir to the cur/
subdir, and if you delete it, its filename is changed, IIRC ... in both
of the above cases, mtimes of the new/ and cur/ should be updated, and
you may want to argue that no other changes really matter 99% of the time.
(For the other 1% of the time (i.e., for functions like edit-type, etc.),
you can force an immediate cache invalidation before exiting the function
in question.)

 - Dave

[1]
/* allows you to suspend Mutt without losing your IMAP session: */
http://www.bigfatdave.com/dave/src/imapproxy/
http://www.bigfatdave.com/dave/src/xml2ansi/
/* intercepts key sequences to a subprogram (not fully functional yet): */
http://www.bigfatdave.com/dave/src/interceptor/

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel