Re: ANNOUNCE: maildir header cachefor current development cvs (WAS: Re: [OT] I'm Just A Programmer and Re: ANNOUNCE: maildir header cachefor current development cvs))

Hi David,

> Well, there's an interesting idea ... maybe the access time of the
> directory has significance (e.g., if Mutt looks at the directory
> before changing a file in it?  I dunno ... I don't even use maildir
> myself. . .). . .

I thought about that, but it only works on 1% of the cases.

> Also, I think what I said in my previous mail isn't 100% correct: if you
> look at a new message, it should be moved from the new/ subdir to the cur/
> subdir, and if you delete it, its filename is changed, IIRC ... in both
> of the above cases, mtimes of the new/ and cur/ should be updated, and
> you may want to argue that no other changes really matter 99% of the time.
> (For the other 1% of the time (i.e., for functions like edit-type, etc.),
> you can force an immediate cache invalidation before exiting the function
> in question.)

The problem is that I care about the 1% see [1]. Especially in the case
of an external modification but we could do it configurable. My patch
doesn't invalidate the cache on edit (maybe it does, but not explicit),
deletion or change flags.

Thomas

[1] external modfication of maildir