Re: ANNOUNCE: maildir header cache for current development cvs

Hi Tamo,

> I tried mutt-cvs-maildir-header-cache.0.
> debian#196832 (see my posts on 17 Dec 2003) has not been fixed.

I already did. At the moment I am working on the invalidate problem
(drop cache if message was modified since cached). That involves stating
each message on reopen, which is bad :-( hopefully not to bad.

> I ran mutt with LANG=ja_JP.EUC-JP first. This worked fine.
> Next, I ran mutt with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8. This didn't work.
> All Japanese characters were garbled.
> I ran mutt with LANG=ja_JP.EUC-JP again. This worked fine.

I will fix this next. So how should I fix this? Two things come in my
mind:

        a) first thing is reencode (which is slow, when it is more than
           just the subject)

        b) save the LANG together with the cache and drop the cache if
           LANG has changed. I think I will do the this.

        c) use a session locale cache.

> Mutt should decode headers each time.

This is slow. My profiling showed that mutt is 25 % of it's time
decoding any strings. :-)

        Thomas