Re: Which spam filter do you use?

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 00:23:06 AM +0200, Eyolf Østrem
(eyolf@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> So, should I switch? I'm quite happy with bogo, especially with the
> current setup with some macros I borrowed from an article in linux
> journal (I think it was), but I would very much like to hear what
> your experiences are in this respect.

Besides some MTA-level filtering, I am using bogo instead of
spamassassin because of one simple reason: lack of maintenance.

I've read several times that SA rules must be constantly updated and
added, otherwise they get half-useless every few weeks. Is this still
true?

Bogofilter, in any case, _does_ let a few spam go through every
day. But once you have installed it and integrated it with Mutt,
procmail, whatever, it just works by itself. Upgrading SA can be
automated, of course, but is one more thing that must work fine all
the time, so I still prefer the other approach: 2/3 minutes every day
to retrain bogofilter on missed spam (via mutt macros and scripts, of
course) versus keeping a constant eye on what's happening in the SA
world.

Of course, if one has to set things up for many people is an
entirely different story.

One thing I plan to do some day, when I have time, is to try something
I've read online: install _another_ bayesian filter and run it from
procmail _only_ on those messages which bogofilter classified as
"almost spam". This would minimize resource consumption, as the
lighter filter is enough to trap almost everything, but increase
accuracy while still being zero-maintenance or so.

HTH,
        Marco
--
The one book on software and digital technologies that no parent or
teacher can ignore:                  http://digifreedom.net/node/84