Re: Mutt & 256 colors re-re-re-visited

Hi cga2000,

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 05:06 AM PST, cga2000 wrote:
c> On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 01:42:36AM EST, Mun Johl wrote:
c> > Hi Kyle, et al.,
c> >
c> > Thanks for the constructive feedback.  With your help, I first started
c> > looking into my ncurses implementation.  I cleaned things up best I
c> > could and then downloaded and installed ncurses v5.6 compiled with 256
c> > color support.  That alone did not resolve my issue; but I do believe it
c> > helped.
c> >
c> > The rxvt terminfo file I was using came with my terminal emulator and
c> > was supposed to support 256 colors, but it appears there is some issue
c> > with that file.  I tried setting my TERM var to xterm-256color.  That
c> > appears to have done the trick!  I can now use the colorN technique to
c> > access all 256 colors.  I'm one happy camper :)
c> >
c> > Thanks again for all the help.
c>
c> ok for a test .. to narrow down your problem ..
c>
c> but other things are likely to break.
c>
c> The terminfo entry describes your terminal's capabilities to the
c> "system".  And there's lots of stuff in a terminfo entry apart from the
c> number of colors that is likely to be quite different between rxvt and
c> xterm.
c>
c> So for regular every day use you either want to install a proper
c> rxvt-256color terminfo entry .. or, switch to 256-color xterm.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll definitely take switching to a 256-color xterm
under consideration.

--
Mun