Re: Mutt & 256 colors re-re-re-visited

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 01:42:36AM EST, Mun Johl wrote:
> Hi Kyle, et al.,
>
> Thanks for the constructive feedback.  With your help, I first started
> looking into my ncurses implementation.  I cleaned things up best I
> could and then downloaded and installed ncurses v5.6 compiled with 256
> color support.  That alone did not resolve my issue; but I do believe it
> helped.
>
> The rxvt terminfo file I was using came with my terminal emulator and
> was supposed to support 256 colors, but it appears there is some issue
> with that file.  I tried setting my TERM var to xterm-256color.  That
> appears to have done the trick!  I can now use the colorN technique to
> access all 256 colors.  I'm one happy camper :)
>
> Thanks again for all the help.

ok for a test .. to narrow down your problem ..

but other things are likely to break.

The terminfo entry describes your terminal's capabilities to the
"system".  And there's lots of stuff in a terminfo entry apart from the
number of colors that is likely to be quite different between rxvt and
xterm.

So for regular every day use you either want to install a proper
rxvt-256color terminfo entry .. or, switch to 256-color xterm.

Thanks,

cga.