Re: How do I come back from viewing the message to index?

* Derek Martin <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2006-08-10 19:05 -0400]:
> While the <exit> function is not badly named, I think what mutt calls
> "exit" might more accurately be described as "go back" or "escape"...
> and indeed, many text-based programs (I would say most) with
> menu/key-based input systems use the escape key for this purpose.
> That is, when one selects a screen for a particular function by a menu
> option, or a particular hotkey sequence, one generally returns to the
> menu, or the previous screen, by pressing the escape key.   Due to how
> common that has historically been, this has become extremely
> intuitive, and would be far more intuitive than re-binding the 'q'
> key.  Unfortunately Mutt makes heavy use of escape as a key modifier,
> so this is not an option.  Again, due to the commonness of it in other
> programs historically, it would have been far more intuitive for Mutt
> to use the Alt key as a key modifier instead of escape.  Escape has
> been used that way primarily in certain very Unixy programs, whereas
> Alt is very widespread across most platforms.  You might say that is a
> pc-centric choice, but the fact is most people who have used a
> computer today have never used one that didn't have an Alt key... even
> on any Unix systems they may have used.

How can a program in a portable way detect wether Alt was pressed or
not? (through its terminal)

I don't know how, and I really would like to know how to do this.

[...]
> There is also the question of whether this is really intuitive for
> you, or is it just what you have become accustomed to after years and
> years of using Mutt?  :-D

I considered this (q in the pager) intuitive from the beginning.

Nicolas

--
http://www.rachinsky.de/nicolas