Re: How do I come back from viewing the message to index?

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 02:39:59PM EDT, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2006-08-07, cga2000 <cga2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > "Fixing the real problem?"  The only problem I see here is that
> > > your mental model of mutt's behavior is incorrect.
> > >
> > That the same keyboard action should be used to navigate different
> > screens within the application or exit the application altogether
> > depending on the context is not dependent on the way your brain is
> > wired.
> >
> > It's just confusing.
>
> I apologize; I misunderstood your confusion.  I thought you were
> expecting 'q' in the Index to take you to the mailboxes view instead
> of exiting.  You're right--that "overloading" of 'q' can be confusing,
> especially when using some other application as a file viewer within
> mutt, such a w3m, where 'q' does mean "quit".  I find myself using 'q'
> in w3m to "go back" and of course quitting instead.

Hmm.. actually your example somewhat voids my claim.. or rather gives it
a lot more substance by putting it in a more general perspective.

I must admit I hadn't given it much thought and what I had in mind was a
few "native mutt" places where all of a sudden you're supposed to use
"q" instead of "i" to go back one level.  Even if you have to patch the
code (?) ... making mutt behave a little more consistently in this
respect shouldn't be too hard.

But when mutt invokes another application, things become complicated,
since mutt obviously has no control over that application's behavior and
the other application has no idea it's running as a mutt plugin-of-sorts
rather than standalone.

Food for thought ..

Thanks

cga