Re: How do I come back from viewing the message to index?

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 09:15:19PM +0200, Nicolas Rachinsky wrote:
> I think it's intuitive. At least for me it is. I've always seen the
> pager like some 'mode' that is called from the index of a mailbox, so
> for me I'm in the pager in the index and q does what I want and
> expect, it closes the pager and I'm back in the index. BTW that's the
> same if you press q in less if that is your pager. (I start mutt and
> make it open an mailbox, then by pressing return I open a mail, with q
> I'm back in the mailbox and q again and I'm out).
>
> Of course, it's strange if you consider activating the pager as
> switching to another mode that's not inside the index but somehow at
> the same level.

I "grew up" using Mutt with the second point of view, i.e., "pager" and
"index" are just different internal aspects of Mutt, not external helper
apps.  For me the use of "i" (rather than "q") to go back to the i)ndex
makes it all intuitive.  I reserve "q" for a staged quit.  From the pager,
pressing either "i" or "q" has the same result -- it's _me_ that's in a
different mode.  If I pressed "i", next I'll likely press "j" or "z", but
if I pressed "q" I intend on pressing "q" again (but don't want to slap my
forehead because I forgot to save one of Alain's or Kyle's important posts).

$0.02

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/