Re: How do I come back from viewing the message to index?

* Derek Martin <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2006-08-09 13:03 -0400]:
> Mutt does not do that.  If you press 'q' within Mutt, it might quit
> the program; or, it might take you to a different mode of mutt which
> behaves completely differently from the one you were just in.  Thus it
> has different meanings in different contexts.  This is fine if it's
> what you want; but it is NOT intuitive, and should not be the default
> behavior, IMO.  Particularly in mail programs, 'q' normally means
> quit, and quit means exit the program.  In Mutt it has split
> personality disorder.

I think it's intuitive. At least for me it is. I've always seen the
pager like some 'mode' that is called from the index of a mailbox, so
for me I'm in the pager in the index and q does what I want and
expect, it closes the pager and I'm back in the index. BTW that's the
same if you press q in less if that is your pager. (I start mutt and
make it open an mailbox, then by pressing return I open a mail, with q
I'm back in the mailbox and q again and I'm out).

Of course, it's strange if you consider activating the pager as
switching to another mode that's not inside the index but somehow at
the same level.

I can't say which is more valid or more common, for me it's the first
way (and I got this impression from manual.txt).

It would probably a good idea to add some paragraph to the manual (or
some commented out binds to Muttrc) showing how to switch, but I
don't think switching the default would be an good idea.

Nicolas

--
http://www.rachinsky.de/nicolas