Re: introduction / first question and special characters

 On Thursday, September 8, 2005 at 1:40:53 PM +0200, Daniel Hertrich wrote:

>>> ü (a capital A with a tilde and a "1/4")

    There is small progress: What you quote is well displayed and well
labeled Latin-1 :-). Your previous mail was:

> Maybe an ncurses problem?

    Unlikely: The octalcodization \303\274 is a typical behaviour when
the libc says to Mutt that the character is not printable. The libc is
so instructed by the locales.

>>> +LOCALES_HACK
>> "set charset=iso-8859-1"
> tried this often, but to no avail.

    ???? Very strange. Now you mention it, I vaguely recall having seen
such level of breakage, twice I think:

    One was due to a misinstalled libiconv-Mutt pair on a system
(HP-UX?) having it's own libc integrated iconv functions. Somewhat
libiconv and iconv functions were fighting together during build or
runtime. IIRC libiconv was installed in some non-standard directory...
Your libiconv 1.8 is in /hdd2/usr/lib/libiconv.so.2.1.0, right? And your
mutt -v doesn't show any "[using libiconv 1.8]" string? IIRC problem was
solved by a clean build after clash solving in favour of libiconv thru
some linker magic.

    The other was in fact due to evil procmail rule munging the headers
of some or all incoming mails.

> On my systems there are several locale directories. No one of them
> contains a de_DE entry.

    And we can't say which directories contain real locales, and which
ones contain only LC_MESSAGES for this or that app. Hum... try to locate
an LC_CTYPE file inside locales directories? Do you have the "localedef"
command?

> LC_ALL=iso8859-1 set manually for the tests, before it was not
> existent

    Don't forget to wipe it after the tests. But before, please check in
turn some available variations, say:

| export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
| export LC_ALL=/hdd2/QtPalmtop/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8
| export LC_ALL=../../../hdd2/QtPalmtop/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8

    ...and after each, restart Mutt, and type ":set &charset ?charset"
meaning "reset to locale and show" to see if it displays anything else
than "us-ascii". Yes, "../../../", that's 3 level out prefix. Like if
you were outgoing from /usr/lib/locale/. Don't waste time trying
messages only locales.

    Stage summary: The real good solution would be to find a suitable
locale package to install. And resolve a possible iconv clash.

Bye!    Alain.