Re: introduction / first question and special characters

 On Thursday, September 8, 2005 at 8:40:24 AM +0200, Daniel Hertrich wrote:

>> printf "\xC3\xBC"
> ü (a capital A with a tilde and a "1/4")

    Fine: Your qConsole uses Latin-1 charset.

> +LOCALES_HACK

    Hum... not fine. But let's first see if we can repair your locales
before removing this option. In the meantime an explicit
"set charset=iso-8859-1" in muttrc should permit you to read and post
umlauts. Suboptimal, but may help temporarily...

> The command "locale" is not available on my system...!?

    The "locale" command is just a helper tool, not indispensable to
working locales. Some systems don't have it at all (MacOS, OpenBSD). You
could try to see in manager which package has it, probably something
around libc, libc-locales, locale-bin, locale-data, or such. I mean
"locale" and locales are libc specific, and are in the Glibc source
tarball. They can just be packaged separately.

    Workaround: Let me rephrase my questions. What give:

| $ ls /usr/lib/locale/ | grep "^de_DE"         # or /usr/share/locale/ or such
| de_DE/
| de_DE.utf8/
| de_DE@euro/
| $ printenv | egrep "^(LANG|LC_)" | sort
| LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8@euro
| LC_COLLATE=C
| LC_MESSAGES=C
| $ iconv --version

    And if you "export LC_ALL=de_DE", then start Mutt and type directly:

| :set &charset ?charset
| set charset="iso-8859-1"

> What is involved in order to install locale? Probably not only a
> binary?

    Just a binary. But to install the real locales, that may be anything
from a ready package, to source data files you have to "localedef" by
hand, or a distribution specific tool to do it for you.

Bye!    Alain.