Re: introduction / first question and special characters

Hello Alain,

On 22:55 Mon 05 Sep     , Alain Bench wrote:
> Hello Daniel, and welcome.

thank you!

>     Your qKonsole uses which charset (printf "\xC3\xBC")?

Returns:
ΓΌ
(a capital A with a tilde and a "1/4")
Depending on the font I select these characters are also
displayed as two boxes (i.e. character not in font).
In mutt I use the font which CAN display these characters.

> What are the
> libc and perhaps iconv versions?

The relevant lines (some others deleted):

bash-2.05$ find /lib  -name "libc*"
/lib/libc-2.2.2.so
/lib/libc.so.6

and
bash-2.05$ find /  -name "*iconv*"
/hdd2/usr/bin/iconv
/hdd2/usr/lib/libiconv.la
/hdd2/usr/lib/libiconv.so.2.1.0
/hdd2/usr/lib/libiconv.so
/hdd2/usr/lib/libiconv.so.2

According to my package manager I have instaled libiconv
version 1.8 and libc is not mentioned (but that doesn't mean
anything).

> What outputs "mutt -v"?
bash-2.05$ mutt -v
Mutt 1.5.9i (2005-03-13)
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type
`mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute
it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.4.20 (armv5tel) [using ncurses 4.2]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
+HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  -USE_DOTLOCK  -DL_STANDALONE
+USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK   -USE_INODESORT
+USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  -USE_SSL  -USE_GNUTLS
-USE_SASL  -USE_SASL2
+HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD
+HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME
-CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME  -BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS
-SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  +LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS
+HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET  +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  -HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID
+HAVE_GETADDRINFO  -USE_HCACHE
-ISPELL
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="mailspool"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/etc/mutt"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
-MIXMASTER
To contact the developers, please mail to
<mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>.
To report a bug, please use the flea(1) utility.

> What locales
> have you installed (locale -a | grep "^de_DE"), and which one is
> selected (locale)?

The command "locale" is not available on my system...!? May
that be a reason? I have experimented with the settings of
some locale variables (LC_ALL and similar, don't remember
which ones exactly). Does this only have any effect if
locale is available?
What is involved in order to install locale? Probably not
only a binary?

>     No. The reason is broken locale.

You seem to be right.
Thanks in advance for your help!