Re: introduction / first question and special characters

Hello Alain,

>     There is small progress: What you quote is well displayed and well
> labeled Latin-1 :-). Your previous mail was:

<g>
That one was sent with the GMX webmail interface. The last one with mutt.
This one comes with webmail again.

> >> "set charset=iso-8859-1"
> > tried this often, but to no avail.
>
>     ???? Very strange. Now you mention it, I vaguely recall having seen
> such level of breakage, twice I think:
>
>     One was due to a misinstalled libiconv-Mutt pair on a system
> (HP-UX?) having it's own libc integrated iconv functions. Somewhat
> libiconv and iconv functions were fighting together during build or
> runtime. IIRC libiconv was installed in some non-standard directory...
> Your libiconv 1.8 is in /hdd2/usr/lib/libiconv.so.2.1.0, right? And your
> mutt -v doesn't show any "[using libiconv 1.8]" string? IIRC problem was
> solved by a clean build after clash solving in favour of libiconv thru
> some linker magic.

/hdd2/usr/lib is linked to /usr/lib, so it should be a standard directory
again, right?

How do I determine if libc-builtin iconv should be used or external
libiconv? I could try both and see which one works better. If I only knew
how.

>     The other was in fact due to evil procmail rule munging the headers
> of some or all incoming mails.

That cannot be the case here, as the problem also happens with emails neer
touched by procmail but directly converted from my previous mail system,
which did not do anything with the headers.

>     And we can't say which directories contain real locales, and which
> ones contain only LC_MESSAGES for this or that app. Hum... try to locate
> an LC_CTYPE file inside locales directories?

There are some. But only in the directories:

/hdd2/QtPalmtop/lib/locale/ja_JP.eucjp/
/hdd2/QtPalmtop/lib/locale/ja_JP.utf8

What do these files do?

Does it make sense to simply transfer a de_DE directory from my Linux
desktop to the machine we are talking about (BTW it is a Zaurus SL-C3000
palmtop)?

> Do you have the "localedef"
> command?

no.

> > LC_ALL=iso8859-1 set manually for the tests, before it was not
> > existent
>
>     Don't forget to wipe it after the tests. But before, please check in
> turn some available variations, say:
>
> | export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
> | export LC_ALL=/hdd2/QtPalmtop/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8
> | export LC_ALL=../../../hdd2/QtPalmtop/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8
>
>     ...and after each, restart Mutt, and type ":set &charset ?charset"
> meaning "reset to locale and show" to see if it displays anything else
> than "us-ascii".

Tried it: It always shows us-ascii.
What should it show instead, and why?

>     Stage summary: The real good solution would be to find a suitable
> locale package to install. And resolve a possible iconv clash.

There is no locale package I know of. So I'll have to resolve that issue on
my own.
Why the heck does mutt behave so strangely? All other programs have no
problems... But they are not self-compiled by me.
All robgrams I have compiled myself (procmail, fetchmail, msmtp and such
things) do not have a user interface which has to deal with Umlauts.

Thanks a lot for your guidance. I appreciate it very much.
daniel

--
Dipl.-Ing. Daniel Hertrich
Reichertshofen, Germany