Re: introduction / first question and special characters

Hi Alain,

On 12:07 Sat 10 Sep     , Alain Bench wrote:

>     I don't know. Perhaps someone else? "ldd /usr/local/bin/mutt" can
> say you what shared libraries are linked.

It says here:
bash-2.05# ldd /usr/bin/mutt         libncurses.so.5 =>
/usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x40022000)         libc.so.6 =>
/lib/libc.so.6 (0x4006d000)         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 =>
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

> >> an LC_CTYPE file inside locales directories?
> > only in the directories:
> > /hdd2/QtPalmtop/lib/locale/ja_JP.eucjp/
> > /hdd2/QtPalmtop/lib/locale/ja_JP.utf8
>
>     Good news! You just have to find a terminal with EUC-JP charset, and
> learn Japanese: Problem solved. You might be surprised that umlauts are
> double-width characters in these locales, though... ;-)

I always wanted to learn Japanese. But once I am able to
read it fully, the Zaurus with mutt is out-of-date <g>.

>     I send you privately a trio of 2.2.5 compiled de_DE locales to see.
> The ARM processor is bigendian, right? BTW an strace of any simple
> locale using command ("strace date") can show where you system expects
> to open locales. Example mine shows with LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8@euro:

strace is not available on my system :-(
Regarding the privately sent locale directories please see
the private reply. Didn't have any effect.

Well, if all that mutt is doing dependent on the locales is
switch the charset, and if setting the charset manually in
muttrc does have effect but not entirely the desired one,
can tweaking the locales have any better effect at all?
If I set charset in muttrc to iso-8859-1, I get these octal
codes. If I set ot to us-ascii I get question marks (much
better to read, so I use that now). Just using "automated
charset setting" cannot do any better, can it?

>     You are very welcome. I hope we can solve this misery, and that all
> this can be later usefull to all Zaurus users.

I document my entire setup publicly, so of we can resolve
that issue, it will be documented as well (with a big thank
you mentioning your name of course!)

If you are interested in that documentation:
http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/zaurus

daniel

--
Dipl.-Ing. Daniel Hertrich