Re: introduction / first question and special characters

Hello Alain,

> >> printf "\xC3\xBC"
> > ü (a capital A with a tilde and a "1/4")
>
>     Fine: Your qConsole uses Latin-1 charset.

okay.
Also other applicatoins show umlauts without problems. pico, vi, even slrn
(s-lang based)...
Maybe an ncurses problem?

> > +LOCALES_HACK
>
>     Hum... not fine. But let's first see if we can repair your locales
> before removing this option.

I remember I have added it when compiling in order to see if it helps.
But it didn't.
No problem for me to remove it again.

> In the meantime an explicit
> "set charset=iso-8859-1" in muttrc should permit you to read and post
> umlauts. Suboptimal, but may help temporarily...

No, it doesn't. I have tried this often, but to no avail.
Okay, setting it again now for forther tests.

>     Workaround: Let me rephrase my questions. What give:
>
> | $ ls /usr/lib/locale/ | grep "^de_DE"               # or /usr/share/locale/
> or such

On my systems there are several locale directories. No one of them contains
a de_DE entry.
Two have only ja_JP entries (the machine comes from Japan) and one directory
(/hdd2/QtPalmtop/lib/X11/locale) has a lot of entries, but again no de_DE...
one.
There are for example folowing directories (I can post a complete list later
if needed):

armscii-8
el_GR.UTF-8
en_US.UTF-8
iso8859-1
iso8859-15 (and all in between)
microsoft-cp1251

and some which I do not know at all what they mean:
mulelao-1
nokhchi-1
and so on.

> | $ printenv | egrep "^(LANG|LC_)" | sort
> | LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8@euro
> | LC_COLLATE=C
> | LC_MESSAGES=C

LANG=de_DE.ISO-8859-1
LC_ALL=iso8859-1

(the latter one set manually for the tests, before it was not existent).

> | $ iconv --version

iconv (GNU libiconv 1.8)

>     And if you "export LC_ALL=de_DE", then start Mutt and type directly:
>
> | :set &charset ?charset

--> shows 'charset="us-ascii"' although I have set it to iso-8849-1 in
.muttrc!

> | set charset="iso-8859-1"

done.
To no avail. :-(
Umlauts are displayed as octal code \xxx.

Thanks for any further help!

daniel

--
Dipl.-Ing. Daniel Hertrich