New mail indicator

Hello mutt-users,

is there any way to make mutt determine the "new mail" state of a mailbox by
looking for actual "New mail" flags in the mailbox rather than to compare
the file access and file modification date of the mbox files?

If a mailbox contains new mail, I enter it, but do not read all new mails,
there are still "new" mails inside, but mutt does not show the "new mail"
indictor anymore for that mailbox.
I'd like it to do.

Additionally, even if I do not enter the mailbox marked as "new mails" in
the mailbox list, but do something else, sometimes the new mail flag
disappears again. No idea why yet. Probably a file access from somewhere
else (procmail? does it touch files even if it does not filter mail into a
file when it runs?).

And one more question:
Is it possible to let mutt display the _amount_ of new mails instead of only
the "N"?

Thanks

daniel

--