Re: Home and End key weirdness

Good morning Alain!,
On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 12:37:05AM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
> Hello John,
>     What gives:
>
> | $ infocmp -1 | egrep "kend|khome"
> |     kend=\E[4~,
> |     khome=\E[1~,
With putty set as xterm, I get the following:
//may/home/festus # echo $TERM
xterm
//may/home/festus # infocmp -1 | egrep "kend|khome"
        kend=\EOF,
        khome=\EOH,
//may/home/festus #

With putty set as putty, I get:
//may/home/festus # echo $TERM
putty
//may/home/festus # infocmp -1 | egrep "kend|khome"
//may/home/festus #

When putty is set to xterm, and I then run screen, I get the following:
//may/home/festus # echo $TERM
screen
//may/home/festus # infocmp -1 | egrep "kend|khome"
        kend=\E[4~,
        khome=\E[1~,
//may/home/festus #

When putty is set to screen (no screen running), I get:
festus@may:~//may/home/festus # echo $TERM
screen
//may/home/festus # infocmp -1 | egrep "kend|khome"
        kend=\E[4~,
        khome=\E[1~,
festus@may:~//may/home/festus #

*** Note the difference in $PS1

Perhaps I'll try running putty as screen for awhile and see what
happens. If only my ISP wasn't so idiotic as to not allow screen
sessions...

> > putty sends itself as xterm, and this is what the server also sees and
> > sets TERM=xterm.
>
>     That's the default, working everywhere, but working poorly. On every
> host where a putty terminfo in available, it's better to use it,
> by configuring PuTTY session to identify itself as putty.

It looks like I just never noticed this before because I \always\ used a
screen session.

Thanks,
John
--
Contrary to the lie machine, the world is not safer.