Re: Home and End key weirdness

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 09:08:55AM -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 12:03:08PM -0400, John J. Foster wrote:
>
> > I've been using Putty (from work) and SSH (from home to connect to my
> > ISP shell account for reading mail for about a year now. All was fine.
> > About 2 weeks ago, the ISP suffered a major hardware meltdown, and ended
> > up not only replacing the "shell" server, but also upgrading it from RH9
> > to Fedora Core 3. Ever since that time my Home and End keys have not
> > functioned properly in Mutt using Putty.
> >
> > :exec what-key shows the following after pressing Home or End:
> > Char = ~, Octal = 176, Decimal = 126
>
> Does setting TERM to putty help?

No - but thanks.

Right now, and what has worked, is that putty sends itself as xterm, and
this is what the server also sees and sets TERM=xterm.

Some further info, in case it's meaningful.
# which mutt
alias mutt='$HOME/usr/local/bin/mutt'

This is because my provider will not upgrade from Mutt 1.4.1i.
Also, while composing this email with vi, I've noticed that both the
Home and End keys toggle the case of the character under the cursor.

This is with Putty 0.58, if that helps.

John
--
Contrary to the lie machine, the world is not safer.