Re: saved messages appear as "new"

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 01:31:06AM +0000, Bennett Todd wrote:
> But mutt capitalizes on the Unix tool-using approach.

The two are not antagonistic.

> To make it really completely full-function as a direct imap client,
> it'd not only need to have whatever warts remain in its imap support
> all fixed up, it'd also have to absorb the functionality of a
> filtering LDA like maildrop or procmail, complete with the external
> component integration capabilities that they offer. The resulting

Well, no.

I use maildrop, SpamAssassin, and all the rest -- on the mail servers. I
don't need mutt to interface with them or replace them, I just need mutt
to speak IMAP to the mail servers.

The right tool for the right job, and all that.

> Unix folks, or at least the ones mutt is targetted at, take
> advantage of the exponential power of concatenated tools. Fetchmail
> is a very pleasing basis for interacting with imap servers.

Fetchmail is a lousy IMAP client. It treats IMAP servers as though they
were POP servers -- grab the mail and go away. To be sure, it doesn't
claim to do anything else. If I wanted POP, I know where to find it.

-dsr-