Re: saved messages appear as "new"

On 17/11/04 13.50, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-17-04 13:36]:
> > I have the same problem (although I use BincIMAP). It's a problem with
> > the imap implementation in mutt, and unfortunately the people who know
> > enough to fix it don't seem to care. It was filed as a bug via Debian
> > two years ago (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=163616)
> > which was then forwarded to the Mutt developers, but, as I said, they
> > don't seem to care.
>
> You must remember, mutt *is* and email client.  It's primary function
> is reading and composing email, not the retrieval and distribution of
> email.  Those functions are icing or extra candy.

Not that I disagree with you about the role of mutt, or the value of
having good, external, dedicated tools for all the other stuff, but in
the case of IMAP, I am hard pressed to see how mutt, as the MUA, is
_not_ the right place to have IMAP support? I know an external tool
could pull the IMAP-store to local (mbox/maildir/...), but wouldn't
that be an ugly solution in the general case (connected to the server,
workstation, nfs-shared filesystems, etc.)?

But that's just some pocket change (from a (mostly) happy IMAP user).

/dossen