Re: Large mailbox not recognized

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 08:14:38AM -0200, Leonardo Caldas wrote:
> Is there a way to make it automatically? i mean... my mutt create a
> sent-mail mailbox each month (having the format 'sent-mail-YYYY-mm'). Is
> it possible to use such a script to do the same with the other mailboxes(for
> example: mutt-users-2004-11)?

It depends on the MDA that's dropping off the mail. For example,
in procmail, you might do something like:

YM=`date +%y-%m`
LISTYM=$HOME/Mail/listname/$YM
DUMMY=`test -d $LISTYM || mkdir $LISTYM`
:0:
* ^TOlistname
${LISTYM}

(or substitute a maildirmake for the mkdir and so forth...)

Similar things can be done in maildrop.

> And if I do so, what about my current mailboxes (that aren't still converted
> to this nomenclature format)?. Am I going to be able to rename them in an
> automatic way?

You have several options. One reasonable manual method is:

- create the mailbox hierarchy that you want
- fire up mutt on the original mailbox
- for each month, tag all the messages sent from the first to
  the 31st of the month
- save the tagged messages to the appropriate mailbox

You can also automate this through judicious use of formail -s
and formail -X Date

-dsr-