inline vs smime encryption

Having googled several times for various answers regarding encryption via
mutt I am puzzled that the consensus seems to be that inline is outdated
...yet KDE uses it in its latest kmail client.  Further, though I have
successfully encrypted via mutt (1)I cannot read the result except via
kmail; (2)no copy encrypted to me is sent to sent-mail unless I am the
recipient.  What gives?  How can this be fixed?  I don't seem to find any
help regarding the command structure.

I have included the following in my .muttrc file...
# Inline encryption
macro   compose \CE             "Fgpg -ea\ny"

# Clearsign
macro   compose \CP             "Fgpg --clearsign\ny"
...which work okay but I rather like the idea of auto-signing as outlined in
Justin Miller's how-to and such doesn't seem to be available via the above.

I have found absolutely nothing for use in .procmailrc in my searches except
as regards the PGO rather than GnuPG encryption.

Any help/pointers appreciated.
 --
..."Yogi" CH
Namasté Yoga Studio