Re: How to send simple html emails

Michelle,

you have solved it for me! Thank you.

For some reason mutt would change the content-type and
I cannot find how to stop it. I had tried with the
blank line below Content-type:, but that didn't work
either.

When I tried using "/usr/lib/sendmail -t", as
suggested, it went through fine.

It was interesting that, despite giving the reason I
wanted to send html email, someone still thought it
was a bad idea, or at least a little suspect. We need
to change from this sort of approach to implementing
solutions if open source solutions are going to be
more readily accepted, especially in the public
sector, where I work. If mutt was JUST an interactive
mail reader this would be fine. But it also works from
the command line and so it should support something
like sending an html email (it probably does, I just
don't know how to do it!) My department has adopted
Microsoft as the desktop standard, but use unix
servers for some backend functions and I have more
control on what is used there.

Thanks again for the help and to others for the
suggestions.

--- Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello Peter,
>
> Am 2004-10-31 21:02:30, schrieb Peter Bisset:
> > Hi,
>
> > pbisset@desley> cat x
> > To: pbisset@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > From: foo1@xxxxxxx
> > Subject: A simple example
>
> Here is a missing "blanc" line.
>
> > <HTML>
> > <head></head>
> > <h1>Hi there!</h1>
> > An example of an HTML message.<p>
> > pbisset@desley>
> >
> > and have tried sending this like this:
> >
> > cat x | mutt -H /dev/stdin
>
> ???  -  Why not
>
> cat <your_message> |/ur/sbin/sendmail -t
>
> I was working with SCO too, and I have done this
> directly
> with 'sendmail' which is very well working.
>
> > Can someone pls help me - have searched and
> searched,
> > but can't find out how to do it or what I am doing
> > wrong. I don't want to send graphics (yet;-), just
> > message with a very long URL hidden.
>
> 'mutt' does change the "Content-Type:" to its
> default
>
> > Thanks
>

> Greetings
> Michelle
>
> --
> Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter,
> http://counter.li.org/
> Michelle Konzack   Apt. 917                  ICQ
> #328449886
>                    50, rue de Soultz         MSM
> LinuxMichi
> 0033/3/88452356    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC
> #Debian (irc.icq.com)

name=signature.pgp